- Job term
- Job hours
This is a fantastic opportunity to join an innovative software company based in the heart of Edinburgh. The environment is challenging as they produce cross-platform systems and the successful candidate must be able to take on a systems administrator role for Windows and Linux.
They are currently recruiting an experienced system administrator to support its established systems both internal (for their development and management staff) and external (their data centre). The data centre systems include their own web sites and Git code repository as well as systems hosted for their customers, which include Apache, PHP, Tomcat, MySQL and their own applications.
The successful candidate will have sole responsibility for managing both the internal network system, including backup, cross-operating-system shared file systems, patching, infrastructure security, a Git code repository, Java application servers (Apache Tomcat), database engines such as MySQL & SQL Server, wireless network, routers and firewalls, and their externally-hosted web servers, including email systems, web content management system and hosted web applications.
Support for the sales process is needed. For example, providing technical information for tender documents and helping to define infrastructure architecture for proposed solutions. Security is a consideration, particularly for the voice biometrics business.
In addition, a strategic and forward-planning view of the company's needs is part of the work, including maintaining and developing a virtual private network, test frameworks for their software development team and providing technical support to customers. Work will also include maintenance and upgrading of the company website.
Required Skills and Experience
The candidate should be able to demonstrate all of the following:
- At least two years experience of acting as system administrator on Windows
- Use of scripting languages (e.g. Bash or Ruby)
- Knowledge of Virtualisation (e.g XenServer or Amazon EC2)
- Security Technologies (e.g SSL/TLS)
- Administration of database solutions (e.g. MySQL, SQL server and Oracle)
- Proven ability to support a complex network/server environment single-handed
- Good communication skills with staff and customers
Ideally a candidate will also have some of the following:
- Experience of working in a software development environment
- Experience of system monitoring (e.g Nagios)
- Experience of Active Directory / LDAP
- Experience of OSX
- Experience of infrastructure automation (e.g Chef, Puppet)
- Experience of managing and maintaining cloud-enabled services
- Experience of Cisco Routers
The salary will be in the range of £26,000 - £34,000 depending on experience. This is a permanent contract, with a six-month probation period.