Operations Risk and Control AVP
About Wealth Operations Risk and Control
The Wealth Operations Risk and Control team's central function is located in Glasgow, although the role holder will be working with various other global teams in London, Europe and India. The team is responsible for the implementation of the Enterprise Risk Management Framework across Investment Operations; oversight of Investment Operations functions; advice and guidance regarding risk & control; risk event reporting; incident management; root cause analysis; delivery of a programme of assurance testing; delivery of the automation agenda across 2016/17; delivery of the annual RCSA process; and production of Operations risk and control MI to senior management forums.
• Escalation and Remediation Oversight of Issues: Drafting, reviewing and submission of risk events/incidents occurring in Operations via the pre-defined escalation process and tools. Ensuring all appropriate stakeholders are notified within a timely manner. Performing root cause analysis into the source of the failure and ensuring the ongoing robustness of any new or enhanced controls, oversight of mitigating actions to ensure they are delivered in a timely manner.
• Conformance testing: Direct line management responsibility for Conformance Testing Analyst in Glasgow, and involvement in the conformance testing programme globally. This includes design and implementation of the conformance testing plan, review of quality and consistency of output and monthly/quarterly reporting on progress and findings.
• Business Change Agenda (including mandatory and regulatory programmes): Review of project materials (e.g. process maps, procedures, testing approach) to assess the impact on the risk and control environment. Attend Steering/Management Committees to provide independent risk input on key "go live" decisions on key projects.
• New Product Sign-Offs: Provide challenge on 'risk' of new products and provide sign-off on suitability of all Operational aspects of the new product from reviewing the design of templates/instructions through to the method the product information flows will be managed by Operational areas.
• Audit Management: Interfacing between audit teams (whether Barclays Internal Audit or external audit) and the Operational teams to ensure a smooth and effective audit experience takes place for the business. Key tasks include guidance and oversight of pre-audit preparation, day-to-day oversight of auditor activity and the monitoring of post-audit completion activities prior to audit point closure.
• Risk & Control Self-Assessment (RCSA): Coordinate the submission of the RCSA across Glasgow Operations, including briefing performers and reviewers, inputting to submissions, reviewing the completeness and accuracy of submissions and confirming that appropriate evidence is maintained. The role also includes performing reviews and challenge on the closure of remedial actions identified during the RCSA process.
• Professional/Technical Experience: The ideal candidate will have a strong track record in risk and control with experience of implementing risk and control techniques e.g. risk identification, risk assessment, risk mitigation, and risk management ideally gained via working knowledge of Operations or Operational Risk Control/Management. Experience of either Wealth Management, Investment Banking, Asset Management, or broader Financial Services environments would be advantageous. Additionally the candidate will ideally have experience in working with senior management in order to deliver appropriate actions to risks identified and assessed.
• Managerial Experience: Experience of working within a team within a high volume environment is essential.
• Language Skills: The right candidate will have an excellent command of the English language, with strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to communicate effectively across all levels. Second/multiple language skills would be advantageous.
• Academic and Professional Qualifications: The candidate should hold an undergraduate degree (2:1) or equivalent.
• Personal Attributes: The ideal candidate will be a strong communicator, both verbally and written, with the ability to negotiate and influence at all levels including the ability to deal with complex problem solving/decision-making skills at speed. The candidate should be determined and delivery focussed, with the ability to deliver quality results within a challenging but positive and influential style. Additionally, they must be an enthusiastic and pro-active team player, with common sense and patience combined with a flexible attitude to working hours.
Supervisory responsibilities: The candidate will have line management responsibility of one Conformance Testing analyst and 2 graduate/intern analysts based in Glasgow. In addition the will be expected to lead specific projects/engagements working with the rest of the global Operations Risk and Control team.
Key clients (internal and external): The primary clients will be the Head of Wealth Operations, Directors for each area of the business, and heads of each functional area within Glasgow Operations. In addition, regular liaison with Operational Risk, Compliance, Business Services and Barclays Internal Audit will be required.
Risk and Control Objective: All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards
Benefits: Our customers deserve the best. The same goes for our employees. That's why at Barclays you'll receive a range of benefits that include a competitive salary and all the tools, technology and support you need to succeed.
Our Culture: Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. The values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our employees. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
Barclays is an equal opportunity employer and are opposed to discrimination on any grounds.For more detailed information, please visit our dedicated Diversity and Inclusion site here .