Wealth Planner - Director
Wealth Planner - Director
Barclays Wealth and Investment
Primary Location: Glasgow or Belfast
Barclays is a major global financial services provider engaged in personal banking, credit cards, corporate and investment banking, and wealth and investment management. With over 300 years of history and expertise in banking, Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide.
As a leading global wealth and investment manager, Barclays provides international and private banking, wealth planning, trust and fiduciary services, investment management, brokerage services and research to private and intermediary clients across the world. Additionally our clients benefit from access to the breadth of personal, corporate and investment banking expertise across Barclays, one of the largest financial services groups in the world.
Our mission is to set a new standard in wealth management by understanding our clients better than anyone else. In pursuit of this objective, we hire and develop only the best people in the industry. We look for talented, tenacious individuals who seek opportunities for self-improvement and career progression. Our long-term agenda can only be achieved through close collaboration and a shared sense of empathy, integrity and trust.
Purpose of role
The UKI Private Banking team offers bespoke banking and investment solutions to High Net Worth clients across the country. Private Bankers and Wealth Planners work with clients to provide a world class range of investment solutions and products across all asset classes, wealth structuring, lending and banking services. They are supported by dedicated experts from across the firm. This access and support represents a unique opportunity for senior to Wealth Planners to further develop their career within a high quality environment.
- Work closely with Private Bankers (up to and including senior MD Bankers) to provide full Wealth Planning services to HNW clients with an emphasis on regulated products within a given Business Area.
- Responsibility for Structuring client's affairs in the most efficient way in order to achieve established medium and long term goals, dealing with complex clients and product sets.
- Responsibility for developing and managing client relationships and provide financial advice within the UK regulatory framework within a Business Area.
- Demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of own function and how it interacts with other functions to achieve the overall business objectives and responsible for the successful partnership of this within the relevant Business Area.
- Technical Expert/thought leader - ability to use multiple sources of information to interpret and solve problems creatively and effectively in potentially complex situations, including the interpretation of legislation and regulations
- Within Business Area, ensures operational effectiveness by interpreting, managing, and maintaining policies / process
- Delivers continuous policies / process improvements and implements best practice
- Manages the control and governance agenda by ongoing, management and mitigation of risks through assessment.
Director Specific accountabilities
- Consistent delivery of top quartile revenue and wrapped assets over a 3 year period within the Wealth Planning population
- Delivers both generalist and specialist Wealth Planning advice according to the team alignment
- Possesses deep technical knowledge in specialist area (e.g. VCT/EIS, Estate Planning, RND)
- Actively works with Head of Wealth Planning to further enhance Wealth Planning product proposition
- Primarily deals with more complex and high profile HNW and UHNW clients with assets in excess of GBP3m
- Has significant responsibility for building and maintaining credibility with all client types and is deeply embedded into banker teams dealing primarily with HNW clients
- Outstanding client facing skills
- T&C score is consistently trending above average
- Demonstrates proactive thought leadership and seen as opinion maker on Wealth Planning end to end proposition and operating model
- Trusted Advisor - has credibility within the PB population - especially at Director and Managing Director level and is client facing
- Coaches and mentors other Wealth Planners on their development and stakeholder relationships
Actively leads on Citizenship agenda
Business Accountability to Business Head:
- Responsibility for aligning and formulating, in conjunction with the Head of the Business Area the client acquisition strategy with Team Manager and Private Banking Teams
- Responsible for planning of resources and advisory capacity in line with Team Manager strategy
- Meets agreed activity and advice penetration metrics
- Fomulates and builds internal relationships with other Business Heads, Team Managers and Bankers
- Responsibility for building internal awareness of WP offering within Barclays, including the external market
- Builds an effective partnership, enabling collaboration across PCB, to achieve objectives and secure new client relationships as appropriate
- Meets commercial targets
Functional Accountability to Wealth Planning Manager:
- Delivers high quality advice via the WP Advisory Framework, safely and to a high technical standard
- Delivers high quality WP suitability reports
- Meets and exceeds the requirements of the WP T&C scheme
- Meets sales management metrics relative to WP population
- Provides feedback to leadership team on WP Proposition and competitive environment
- Can identify and drive best practice in terms of knowledge, skills and strategy
- Collaborates closely with Wealth Executive and other WP support staff to enable delivery of high quality WP administrative support
- Is responsible for the delivery of high-profile and complex Wealth Planning solutions and delivers technical excellence to all client interactions
- Meets targets technically and safely
- Broad experience of Financial Services industry, particularly in the areas of regulated products and services to High Net Worth clients to include deep specialist knowledge relevant to HNW clients
- Appropriate technical/product knowledge of Life Assurance, Pensions and Investment Advisory in the UK and a solid understanding of the current UK taxation system
- Thorough understanding of products, services and processes across the Group
- Strong investment, fiduciary and banking product knowledge (ideal but not essential)
- Detailed knowledge of UK regulatory requirements and an overall understanding of the business impact of the regulatory environment
- Subject matter expert within own discipline and will guide technical direction
- Understanding of the risks associated with investment products; in particular, the relationship between customer attitudes to risk and the suitability of financial products recommended
- Able to demonstrate integrity and adherence to compliance policies and procedures
- Able to demonstrate up to date knowledge of relevant changes in the marketplace, products, legislation and regulation
Knowledge and understanding:
- Banking products
- Tax knowledge
- Financial Planning
- Estates Planning
Academic and professional qualifications:
- Appropriate advanced financial planning examinations such as AFPC or Diploma in Financial Planning to a minimum of QCF 4
- Satisfies the FCA criteria for an approved person both initially and ongoing
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to interpret and communicate complex regulatory requirements effectively
- Constructive approach with the ability to relate and accommodate a diverse range of personalities
- Advice and process driven
- Ability to juggle priorities, multitask and execute at speed
- Sound commercial judgement and overall understanding of Financial Services Industry, particularly the business impact of the regulatory environment
- Embraces challenge and an evolving/changing environment
- Understanding of competitors and current industry practice
- Well established influencing and negotiating skills in complex situations
As an organisation, Barclays have agreed a single cross-business Purpose for Barclays, and five core Values which underpin it. Our Purpose is helping people achieve their ambitions in the right way. Put simply this is the answer to the question 'What is Barclays for?' and it should guide our every action as employees.