Infrastructure Ground Engineering, Tunnelling and Underground Space Gr
As a Graduate Engineering Geologist, Geotechnical or Tunnelling Engineer you could be involved in one of the most exciting sectors in civil and environmental engineering.
With an impressive portfolio of prestigious and diverse geotechnical projects worldwide, you could help us to design and construct new and innovative infrastructure (such as mass transit systems, tunnelling and power supply), geohazard, underground storage and offshore geotechnics. Together we share knowledge and create a better, more sustainable future for all by safeguarding our natural resources. We offer a world of opportunities from the projects youll work on, to the directions you can take your career in.
Join us in our vision to be the worlds best Infrastructure Consultancy, working with a broad range of clients to influence policy, future technology and global sustainability.
Alex is a Graduate Tunnel Engineer within the Infrastructure division. Here he is talking about his experience at Atkins, in his own words, with his own camera!
What youll be doing
Our industry leading Infrastructure Academy is the ideal place to start your career. At its heart, being in the academy will mean you are part of a dynamic technical community with access to the latest thinking and developments in your field. As well as structured training thats designed with you in mind, well support you and help you achieve Chartered status.
As a graduate, youll be joining one of the following teams:
Our Ground Engineering team provides world class geotechnical and engineering geology services to infrastructure and global energy clients, focusing around the engineering behaviour of the ground for complex new build and asset life extension projects. Youll get involved in a broad range of activities including site investigation, 3D ground modelling, geohazard & terrain evaluation, earth structures, foundation design and ground improvement, in both the onshore and offshore environments.
Tunnelling and Underground Space
Our Tunnelling and Underground Space team provides technically excellent engineering design of tunnelling, underground, and heavy infrastructure, particularly focused on mass transit, rail and major project programmes. Our team have expertise in assessment of ground movements, design of complex foundations and ground-contacting structures, in addition to the assessment of ventilation and fire life safety aspects of utilising underground space. Here youll get the opportunity to take on a wide range of interesting activities, including site work, design, asset impact assessments, life cycle/risk assessments and project management.
Where youll be based
Ground Engineering - Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Derby, Epsom, Glasgow, Leeds, London, Warrington
Tunnelling and Underground Space - Epsom, London
Who were looking for
- Talented graduates with a 2.1 degree or above in Civil Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Engineering Geology or equivalent - accredited by the appropriate institution
- Ideally a specialist Masters in Soil Mechanics, Engineering Geology, Geotechnical Engineering, Tunnel Engineering or a related subject
- Confident working on your own initiative and as part of multidisciplinary teams
- A good communicator who can collaborate with a variety of colleagues and become a trusted client adviser
- Someone who can analyse problems, create innovative solutions and make sound decisions in a competitive and commercial environment
- Keen attention to detail and the drive to keep on learning
- Ambition, vision, enthusiasm and the drive to keep on developing your technical skills and achieve Chartered status
- A flexible approach to travel as our projects and training may take you to a variety of locations in the UK and possibly abroad
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for further information.
How to apply
Our deadline for applications is Monday 18th December 2017. Some of our programmes are incredibly popular, to avoid disappointment (where some roles may close earlier) we recommend you apply as soon as possible. Full guidance on our application process can be found our website.