Media & Communications Officer, West Lothian Civic Centre (398.05) C/D 24/09/17
The closing date for this post is provisionally set at 24 September 2017. West Lothian Council reserve the right to close this post early depending on applicant response levels
Looking for an exciting role in Communications?
West Lothian Council is one of Scotland's leading local authorities.
Our team aim to enhance and protect the council's reputation and is responsible for developing and delivering a wide range of communications channels, designed to promote the council and its services to internal and external customers.
This is an exciting opportunity to help shape media relations and digital communications services for West Lothian Council.
The key duties of this post are:
- Brief senior managers and elected members on press issues and provide advice and support on handling press enquiries
- Identify council and community news and create compelling content for all channels
- Draft, edit and seek approval for press releases, facilitate working relationships and build networks with senior managers, employees, elected members, journalists, agencies and suppliers
- Provide general information on Council Services to interested parties
- Keep abreast of incidents, developments in Council Strategies, initiatives and services to press releases to place in context and anticipate issues that are likely to attract media attention
- Attend council meetings and substitute for colleagues when appropriate
- Provide an out-of-hours press service on a rota basis
- Attend and report on community events which may occasionally include weekend and evening cover
The skills and experience you must have:
- a proven track record in communications
- experience of generating engaging digital content in a range of media and for different channels
- experience of using social media within a corporate environment and an understanding of key social platforms and analytics
- excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- experience of working on a range of different projects and teams
- degree with journalism/communications post graduate or professional qualification
- ability to perform in a high-volume, multi-task/deadline oriented environment, willingness and desire to make good, quick editorial decisions within tight deadlines
- passionate interest in presenting complex concepts in news and current affairs as compelling stories
- experience in producing, writing and/or editing for the web/social media
- candidates must also have a flexible approach to working hours, with evening and weekend working being required on occasion to cover events
- applicants should also hold a full driving licence
- successful candidate will be part of an out-of-hours media service
398.05 - Media Communications Officer.pdf