Legal Services Manager
4 days left
- Full Time
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service would like to invite applications for the post of Legal Services Manager located at SFRS Headquarters, Cambuslang.
This is a key role and you will act as Legal Advisor within the service reporting to the Director of Strategic Planning, Performance and Communications, providing strategic level legal advice to the Chief Officer, the Chair and the Board as well as the Strategic Leadership Team of the SFRS.
Our culture is open and honest communication, collaborative working with all our stakeholders and a total commitment to quality.
- Ensure the provision and effective delivery of legal services within the SFRS, including managing an internal team and the Service's relationships with external legal advisers.
- Provide legal and related advice to the Chief Officer, the Chair and the Board of the SFRS and the Strategic Leadership Team (SLT).
- Provide authoritative advice to the SFRS in any litigation raised against it or that it is involved in.
- Ensure legal compliance and correctness of policy and procedures authorised by the Board and SLT.
- Manage the legal processes and associated documentation for the SFRS's business transactions e.g. procurement and contractual relations with external parties, disposal and acquisition of property etc.
- Manage the legal team's input to the production of key strategy and policy documents generated by the Board and SLT of the SFRS, ensuring they are legally compliant and developed within the scope of the Scheme of Delegations for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.
- Offer advice and manage with your team the drafting of all communications, or parts of, that may have legal implications for the SFRS.
- Assist with the legal compliance of any Health and Safety related investigations or actions being carried out by or against the SFRS.
- Support the Fire Safety Enforcement Team in taking enforcement action and reporting breaches of fire safety law to the Procurator Fiscal.
- Build internal engagement and relationship networks to promote the work of Legal Services and keep SFRS staff groups informed to achieve the aims of the service.
- You should be admitted to the Law Society of Scotland.
- Have significant post qualified experience within the legal profession with a good grounding in a broad range of legal disciplines and specific experience in one of the following specialist fields; Litigation, Commercial contracts and procurement or Employment law.
- You should have recent and relevant experience of working within a strategic or senior level environment dealing with Legal Services. You will be experienced in dealing with complex organisational and Government policy-related legislative or statutory issues that require highly developed professional and interpersonal skills to manage.
- Have experience of working within Public Service or In-house and/or private practice and dealing with strategic level sensitive information.
- Be well-organised and self-motivated with experience of managing a team and ensuring the maintenance and development of professional skills within your team.
- Have experience of managing an external legal panel.
- Have an ability to influence and operate at a senior/strategic level, presenting complex legal issues in a straightforward, practical way with a focus on solutions.
Your ambition to drive your own career will be complemented by on-going training and development opportunities, as well as a competitive remuneration package.
If you have the relevant skills, experience and you are willing to travel/relocate, please complete your application. Please be advised that travel/relocation costs will not be provided.
Full details of the role and our recruitment process can be found in the attached information pack.
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service is an Equal Opportunities employer and encourage applications from all sectors of the community. In addition, we are committed to being a “Disability Confident Employer” and will ensure that all applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the role are invited for interview.
If you would like to apply in a different format, please telephone Stephanie Smith on 01698 402332 or email SFRS.PODVacancies@firescotland.gov.uk.
Please note, a fully completed application form must be submitted as SFRS do not accept CVs in support of applications for employment
SFRS00793 Recruitment Information Pack.pdf