Mechanical Engineer /Maintenance Engineer /Technician - MMA/MIG
Job Title: Mechanical Engineer
Location: Motherwell, Scotland
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Closing Date: Monday 4th September 2017
Our Client is the UK's leading waste-to-energy biodiesel producer and has always been privately owned. Their plant, near Motherwell in Scotland, started production in 2005 and represents an initial capital investment of around £17 million. This was supported by grants from the Scottish Executive and the European Union. The plant has been the focus of an EU project to develop and demonstrate biodiesel production using a mixture of animal tallow and used cooking oil rather than virgin oils.
They are currently looking to recruit for a Mechanical Maintenance Engineer who will be responsible making sure that plant and machinery has high levels of availability / uptime and operates in a safe manner at all times. Ensure both preventative and corrective maintenance is carried out in a timely manner and complies with Company policies / standards and external standards e.g. EA, HSE and EAWA.
Perform all requested engineering duties to include modifications and re-engineering of plant as required. Carry out the installation, operation, maintenance and repair of all plant equipment.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Install / maintain and update the stores system on site (Idhammer). Follow all stores procedures.
- Monitor and maintain good housekeeping within the stores/ workshop/ container areas and across all site.
- Record all machinery defects, corrective actions and repairs on shift reports and Idhammer.
- Manage and organise all contractor repairs and maintenance on site to minimise disruption to the plant.
- Oversee contractors on relevant plant sections during annual shutdowns as requested by Engineering Manager.
- Ensure adequate supplies of the key products are on site all times.
- Ensure all utilities have a maintenance programme in place which is documented to include planned site visits and reports. Support further development of these programmes.
- Organize shadow boards across the plant where regular routine maintenance takes place. Ensure tools are maintained.
- Ensure all plant lifting / access equipment is kept in good condition, inspected and stored correctly.
- Provide advice and coaching to operators / new recruits where required.
- Liaise closely with the production manager / team leaders / factory manager to ensure all outstanding issues are addressed in a timely manner
- It is expected that the maintenance Engineer (electrical) will carry out mechanical works as and when required.
Qualifications/ Knowledge & Experience
- Engineering discipline qualification - Mechanical Engineering ONC or BTEC Level 3 equivalent is essential
- COMPEX trained preferable
Specific Knowledge, Experience & Skills
- Previous experience working as a Maintenance Engineer in a process plant is essential; with a FMCG, Process, recycling and Chemical background.
- Good knowledge of liquids conveying systems and large rotating plant.
- Mechanical fitting experience
- Disassembly, inspection and rebuild of pump conveying equipment
- Fault finding and preventative maintenance experience.
- Good working knowledge of process hydraulics and pneumatics
- Good working knowledge of transmission components, gearboxes, bearing.
- Good working knowledge of heat exchangers, plate and coil in tube
- Good working knowledge of both steam and thermal oil heating systems (gas fired).
- Very good standard of both MIG and TIG repair / fabrication.
It would be beneficial if the successful candidate had the following additional skills / qualifications:
- Time served apprentice / NVQ level 3 in welding
- Coded to weld T.I.G Carbon steel - bore size 1/2" - 12"
- Coded to weld T.I.G Stainless steel - bore size 1/2" - 12"
Along with experience in both MMA and MIG.
This job description is a summary of the main duties of the role but is not exhaustive. It may be reviewed and updated regularly in discussion with the post holder.
Please click the APPLY button and CHECK YOUR EMAILS for the link to the careers page.
Candidates with experience or relevant job titles of; Maintenance Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Maintenance, Engineering Installations, Mechanical Engineer, Multi-skilled Engineer, Mechanical Fitter, Maintenance Engineer, Technical Engineer, Maintenance Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Mechanical Support Technician, COMPEX, ONC, BTEC, Process Plant Engineer, Chemical Engineer, TIG Repair, Fabrication Engineer, MMA Engineer, MIG Engineer may also be considered for this role.