- Full Time
This is a full-time/fixed term opportunity with a proposed start date of the 1st October 2017 until 30th September 2020
The Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences is located within the School of Health & Life Sciences, which is committed to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, applied research and knowledge transfer. As well as an extensive range of undergraduate and postgraduate teaching programmes, the Department has an active and diverse portfolio of research activities including hospital-acquired infections, host-pathogen interactions, viral zoonosis in xenotransplantation and major research groups in diabetes and visual neuroscience.
We are seeking to appoint a Research Fellow to contribute to the delivery and development of research and research led teaching in line with the thematic areas within the Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences. Dynamic, self-motivated and professional individuals would particularly suit these innovative areas of research. http://www.gcu.ac.uk/iahr/researchthemesandareas/
The successful candidate will be an experienced scientist with a PhD in a relevant discipline, a proven record of research achievement and a strong interest in developing research led teaching at undergraduate and/or postgraduate levels. He/she will be expected to establish an independent research programme.
If you wish to know more about this role or for an informal discussion please feel free to contact Professor Linda Scobie-( 0141 331 8534; firstname.lastname@example.org ) More information about GCU can be found at https://www.connected.gcu.ac.uk/.
Applicants must have the continued right to live and work in the United Kingdom to apply for this vacancy.
We welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates and are committed to promoting equality and valuing diversity at GCU.
Please note that the appointment will be made on the first point of the salary scale (unless by exception).
Main purpose of the role
The main purpose of this role is to be an active and integral member of the Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences team leading in the project supervision, mentoring and coaching of under and postgraduate research students and attracting research funding from diverse sources. The role holder would be expected to lead in the publication and dissemination of research that is of an internationally recognised standard and have knowledge and expertise which will complement existing areas of research strength within the Department. The role holder will be involved in community engagement, outreach activities and assist in raising the departmental profile.
Accountabilities/Responsibilities of the role
- To develop research in the area of biological and biomedical sciences contributing to the development and delivery of the GCU 2020 strategy for research and to operational plans.
- Provide effective project supervision, mentoring and coaching of undergraduate/postgraduate students.
- Lead and contribute to collaborative research bids with other international and national partners.
- Publish research outputs of internationally recognised standards
- Raise individual and Departmental profile by presenting and networking at national and international conferences
- Carry out related duties that may be allocated to you as advised by the Assistant Head of Department or other senior academic staff of the Department including participation in relevant internal and external committees, working groups and project teams, mentoring, counselling and other forms of student support, participation in quality assurance procedures; recruitment, selection and admissions of students; staff development and performance review; representing the Institution or profession on external bodies; community engagement and outreach.
- Build awareness of relevant research area, literature and new developments within areas of research.
- Continually update knowledge in area of specialism and develop Personal Development Plans to support own career development.
- Commitment to University strategy and values.
- Responsible for co-operating and complying with University and local policies, procedures and processes.
- Commitment to comply with policies, procedures and guidance relating to academic quality and governance, and research integrity.
- Commitment to undertake appropriate CPD activity in relation to research area.
- Contribute to consultancy and income generation activities.
- Responsible for the management, implementation and compliance with Health and Safety regulations, standards and processes within your area of responsibility and control.
Educational and/or Professional Qualifications
E1 - PhD in a related discipline
E2 - Good record of publications commensurate with career.
D1 - Ability to undertake original research and to secure research funding in the relevant areas related to the themes of the Department.
D2- Demonstrable grant management and leadership of research projects including reporting and financial management skills.
E3- Relevant experience in research communications and outreach activities including websites, conferences, seminars.
E4 - An interest and the potential to develop consultancy/ income generation in the areas within the department.
E5 - Experience of research in academic or industrial or laboratory teams.
D3 - Supervision of research students and/or technical staff.
Skills, Knowledge & Behaviours
D4 - Evidence of flexibility and the ability to work independently.
E6 - Evidence of excellent communication and analytical skills.
E7 - Excellent presentation skills.
D5 - Research experience in international countries.
E8 - Ability to work well with students and colleagues.