Social Worker x3, Child Care & Protection, Various Locations (387.28) C/D 30/10/16
1 x 36 hrs per week - Permanent - Strathbrock Partnership Centre
2 x 36 hrs per week - Permanent - Bathgate Social Work Centre
In West Lothian we believe that all children should get the best start in life and should get the help they need when they need it.
You will be based in one of our busy practice teams promoting and protecting the wellbeing of vulnerable children and their families. We offer a supportive working environment with induction for new staff, regular planned supervision, a controlled workload and a professional development plan with varied training opportunities.
The key duties of this post are:
- To undertake child protection investigation, including joint interviews with Police, assessment of risk, report writing and related care planning within the recognised child protection guidelines.
- To undertake assessments and prepare reports for the Children’s Hearing system.
- To be responsible for the implementation of any compulsory measures of care.
- When necessary to assess and facilitate away from home care placement arrangements for vulnerable children and young people and take responsibility i.e. collaboration with the child, family and service provider for ongoing assessment, care planning and decision making. This will include the preparation of relevant reports for a variety of related purposes.
- To promote the welfare of children and their family within the provisions of the Children (Scotland) Act 1995 including the development of initiatives with other agencies
The skills and experience you must have:
- Diploma in Social Work or other approved recognised Social Work qualification
- Previous experience of work with children and families is desirable, either pre or post qualification, but specific training will be provided as required.
- Evidence of ability to work effectively with children and their families.
- Knowledge of Child Care legislation.
- Knowledge of child development and children’s needs.
- Effective communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Good organisational abilities.
- Effective team worker.
- Able to work effectively with outside agencies.
- Ability to adopt a flexible approach to work requirements
This post is considered Regulated Work with Vulnerable Children and/or Protected Adults, under the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act 2007. Preferred candidates will be required to join the PVG Scheme or undergo a PVG Scheme update check prior to a formal offer of employment being made by West Lothian Council.
This position requires registration with the SSSC. The successful candidate will have six months from commencement in this post to register with the SSSC
387.28 - Social Worker.pdf