Childline Volunteer Counsellor - Glasgow
How you can make a difference
Putting children first. Taking a stand. Doing what's right. That's what we truly believe in at ChildLine. We offer a confidential service for children and young people across the UK. Working in one of our centres, you will engage with children and young people by phone, online or by e-mail. Listening at first and then offering the support that they may need from us; whether it is information, advice or just someone to listen or talk to.
If you're a great listener, have a genuine passion for helping children and are a real people person with a strong focus on delivering a high quality service, then this is the kind of role where you could make a big difference to the lives of children and young people.
Key volunteer activities
• To listen to children and young people.
• To offer children and young people information, advice and support.
• To identify when a child or young person may be at risk and alert a supervisor, working with them to agree appropriate action.
• To maintain confidentiality within ChildLine.
• To work within a team of volunteers and staff.
• To work with the team to develop and evaluate your practice as a volunteer.
• To work within ChildLine's policies and procedures to provide the helpline service to children and young people.
Do you have the following personal skills, attributes and experience?
• Support and demonstrate NSPCC values; putting children first, making an impact, taking a stand, never settling for second best, working together
• Able to listen
• Able to engage with people with problems in an empathic way
• Open minded and non judgmental
• Able to identify feelings
• Able to demonstrate discretion and recognise the impact of own actions on others
• Able to deal with stress appropriately
• Are receptive to feedback, learning and continuous improvement
• Aware of impact of personal experiences on own outlook
• Willing to learn IT skills to work effectively online