Modern Apprentice Assistant Cook (Fixed Term)
6 days left
- Full Time
Before applying for this job, it is important that you read the Applicant Guidance by clicking on the attachments below. These explain the job role and the type of person we are looking for.
Aberdeenshire Council is committed to increasing the opportunities in the local area by providing Modern Apprenticeships (MA's). These allow you to gain skills, experience and knowledge in the world of work as well as gaining a formal qualification.
Working in one of our Care Homes you will participate as part of the caring team by assisting in the planning, preparation and service of meals.
You will have good communication and organisational skills, be eager to learn and able to work as part of a team. There is a requirement to work variable shift patterns including weekend, evenings and day times.
Successful candidates will be placed on an approved programme of training through the Aberdeenshire Council Modern Apprenticeship Scheme for SVQ Level 2. As a result, applications are particularly encouraged from 16-19 year olds. Academic achievement to Scottish National Level 4 or 5, Standard Grades or equivalent transferable experience and skills is essential.
Aberdeenshire Council currently applies a Living Wage Supplement to all Council employees earning less than £8.33 per hour.
This post is regulated work with protected adults under the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act 2007. The preferred candidate will be required to join the PVG Scheme or undergo a PVG Scheme update check. Where applicable, this post also requires an Overseas Criminal Record Check. A confirmed offer of employment and commencement in the post will be subject to the outcome of both these pre-employment checks being deemed satisfactory.
Please note this is a fixed term post for a 12 month duration.
Informal Enquiries Shona Omand-Smith 01339 886 888
This post has a minimum requirement of 2 references. One of these must be your current or most recent employer.
- Assist in the planning, preparation and service of meals within the care home.
- Assist with the ordering of supplies and maintenance of hygiene and Health and Safety in the kitchen.
There is a requirement to work variable shift patterns including weekend, evenings and day times
There is a responsibility for the post holder to demonstrate a commitment to quality service delivery through continuous improvement for the benefit of the Service and the organisation
• Assist with the planning and preparation of meals.
• Demonstrate safe working practices within the kitchen
• Participation as part of the caring team, the overall support for individual residents
QUALIFICATIONS & TRAINING
• Academic achievement to Scottish National Level 4 or 5, Standard Grades or equivalent transferrable experience and skills
• Achievement of SVQ Level 2 Qualification in a relevant subject within 12 months
• Cooking in a commercial kitchen
• Experience of formal catering
• Experience of Food Hygiene
• Experience with modern food preparation equipment
• Experience of catering specifically for frail older people
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
• Good numeracy and literacy skills
• Good verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work to timescales
• Ability to work under pressure without compromising efficiency
• Ability to use initiative and be flexible in approach
• Understanding of relevant legislation in relation to Food Hygiene and Health and Safety in the work place
• Awareness of person centred approach in relation to Health & Social Care
• Awareness of nutritional consideration in older people
Applying for a job with Aberdeenshire Council.pdf
Job Profile Modern Apprentice (Assistant Cook) 2015-02-03.pdf