Process Development Chemist / R & D Technician / Plant Chemist
Job Title: Process Development Chemist
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Our Client is the UK's leading waste-to-energy biodiesel producer with operations in Scotland and North West England and has always been privately owned. Their main plant, near Motherwell in Scotland, started production in 2005. Following significant investment to facilitate growth and development, a number of facilities are being built in the Stanlow area. The Company specialises in the production and supply of high grade, sustainable diesel made from waste fats and oils deliberately excluding any raw materials that could also be used for food or feed.
They are currently looking to recruit for a Process Development Chemist to support the production teams with best practice and in depth knowledge of chemistry and its application in the production operations, devising new processes, or refining existing ones, to optimise the production process and planning, carrying out process trials as required. This is a day shift, plant based role at Motherwell to support all parts of the production department relating to the synthesis and manufacture of biodiesel and bio-lubricants.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Optimisation of current processes via plant trials, suggesting and implementing any changes to raw materials and process parameters as necessary
- Developing in-depth understanding of biodiesel and pre-prep materials, their interactions and optimisation potential.
- Develop tests methods to assess the production process, being a hands-on chemist used to working in a process environment
- Full process and product development being a Champion of process improvement, improving yields and process capability and identifying any issues that may arise, developing appropriate solutions.
- The testing of the chemistry in the process to alter setting times/ discharges to maximise yield/ output of the bookends of the process
- Carry out simple to complex experiments within production relating to the synthesis and manufacture of biodiesel and biolubricants
- Assessment of feedstock, in-process, final product or miscellaneous samples using various analytical techniques - GC, wet chemistry, GC-MS,
- Ensure the maintenance, calibration and troubleshooting of equipment
- Ensure that all interested parties are kept informed of progress, particularly if problems arise, to achieve required plant outputs
- Writing of reports within agreed timelines
- Carry out specific Risk, HAZOP, manual handling and COSHH assessments for all work undertaken, ensuring safe housekeeping of the department at all times.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience
- A degree in a chemistry related field
- Proven process development knowledge and experience gained in a similar industrial setting
Specific Knowledge, Experience & Skills:
- Extensive chemistry knowledge and its application in the production process
- Experience/Knowledge of analytical techniques such as wet chemistry, chromatography (GC and GC-MS highly desirable)
- Capability to work on varying sized equipment at various batch scales and continuous processes
- Attention to detail with the ability to apply scientific and technical expertise
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; Experience of dealing with front line production personnel essential
- Self-motivated with the ability to work on own initiative
- Awareness of H&S needs - risk assessments, manual handling, COSHH
- Good time management and ability to multi-task
- Intrinsic problem solving skills and the ability to interpret and present analytical results using statistical methods
- Knowledge of fats/oils and bio-based products (in particular biodiesel), fuels and lubricants would be useful
- Some travel to other Company sites may be required
- May be required to work outside of core hours depending on experimentation or location
This job description is a summary of the main duties of the role but is not exhaustive. It may be reviewed and updated regularly in discussion with the post holder.
Please click the APPLY button and CHECK YOUR EMAILS for the link to the careers page.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Process Development Chemist, Senior Chemist, Raw Materials Process Chemist, Wet Chemistry, Biodiesel Chemist, Technical Chemist, Technical Compliance Coordinator, Chromatography, COSHH, Process Development Coordinator, Plant Production Coordinator, R & D Technician, Plant Chemist may also be considered for this role.
Apply for Process Development Chemist / R & D Technician / Plant Chemist
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly