Transport Technician (TDD - Street Lighting)
1 day left
- Full Time
Services for Communities
(Street Lighting Design / Maintenance), Infrastructure, Planning and Transport, Place)
Salary: £23,688 - £28,347
The Infrastructure service area is responsible for project management, design, maintenance, procurement and construction / contract management of a diverse mixture of roads and transport related civil engineering / street lighting improvement projects and street lighting assets across the City.
The scope of ‘design’ projects delivered is extensive in nature, inclusive of ‘high profile’ multi-million projects such as Leith Programme, St Andrew Square improvements, Public Realm projects as well as work to support the Local Development Plan. This diverse range of projects offers both a challenging mixture of work and opportunity for staff to develop themselves in a range of design disciplines. It also offers people the opportunity to actually define, change and improve the infrastructure in the City which they live, taking pride in doing so.
The service is also responsible for management and maintenance of all street lighting assets across the City.
Working within ‘Infrastructure’, the Council has opportunities in the following separate roles:
Design: Supporting the day to day design, audit, contract development, procurement and project management of street lighting projects Citywide. As a result of this varied and challenging workload, the Council will look to offer a range of work to support staff wishing to advance themselves towards the IEng or CEng qualifications.
Maintenance: supporting the effective delivery of the Council’s street lighting maintenance service. The Transport Technician will develop and manage street lighting maintenance projects.
We are seeking a motivated and enthusiastic individual to undertake this challenging but highly rewarding role.
As a permanent employee of the City of Edinburgh Council the post-holder will enjoy a number of related staff benefits inclusive of generous holiday entitlement, flexi-time, flexi-leave working and option to join the Lothian Pension Fund which is part of the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS). The working hours are 36 hours per week.
This post requires Basic Disclosure.
Closing Date: 29 September 2016
MAJ OR TASKS/JOB ACTIVITIES (Dependent on role)
- Undertake street lighting design (associated with civil engineering design projects) to support a mixture of improvements across the City;
- Manage street lighting maintenance and improvement projects;
- Assist feasibility studies/option appraisals/preliminary or detailed lighting engineering designs;
- Support the preparation of drawings/specifications for maintenance, development and other works contracts, bills of quantities, lump sum, schedule of rates, works orders and tenders;
- Support the auditing of Road Construction Consent (RCC) street lighting designs submitted by consultants and developers in support of developments across the City;
- Assist in the Project management of individual street lighting schemes/projects;
- Support procurement and contract management of contractors & consultants;
- Supervision of street lighting works on site;
- Assist in the development and maintenance of the quality assurance systems.
The post holder will have wide ranging contact with a variety of internal and external sources. Contacts may include:
The successful candidate preferably should be conversant with Autocad and have knowledge of working to BS 7671 IEE Wiring Regulations 17th edition.
Self-motivation and the ability to work to strict deadlines are important, as well as the ability to work as part of a team. The post can involve a great deal of liaison with external and internal stakeholders and thus it is important that you have good 'people' skills.
You will receive instructions from the Senior Engineer, will be expected to work independently and/or supported as necessary (dependent on experience) to carry out the duties assigned and to deal with problems as they arise.
Within The City Centre – Waverley Court - Market Street, Edinburgh. However, during your employment you may be required to work at any workplace within the area of the Council.
Transport Technician JD.DOCX
Technician Transport Design Street Lighting Person Spec.docx