Winter Maintenance Operations (Fixed Term)
Before applying for this job, it is important that you read the Applicant Guidance by clicking on the attachments below. These explain the job role and the type of person we are looking for.
The Winter Operations Room provides an out-of-hours facility during evenings and overnight through the week and 24 hours at weekends. You will monitor road and weather conditions, liaise with Duty Officers and Supervisors, and complete records of conditions, treatments and telephone calls. You will receive out-of-hours calls from the Police and the Councils Contact Centre, and will notify the appropriate person for action where necessary. You may also be required to carry out other office- based duties such as entering lighting fault information on to the lighting maintenance system.
The post could be filled by secondment from existing duties and last for approx. 22 weeks, after which the successful applicant will return to their existing post.
You will have experience of winter maintenance operations, be able to communicate well, and be able to use road and weather computer systems for which training will be given.
This post has a minimum requirement of 1 reference. One of these must be your current or most recent employer.
There are 3 vacancies available which are located at various locations across Aberdeenshire
These vacancies are Fixed Term with a contract end date of 27th March 2017
Informal Enquiries Contact: Rhoda West 01467 536283
To provide an out of hours manned Operations Room in relation to the Winter Maintenance Service provided by Aberdeenshire Council.
• Monitor and record weather and road conditions including accessing information using dedicated computer based software and the internet
• Ensure that gritter route plans are updated and winter maintenance actions recorded for each route on a daily basis.
• Receive and record information and requests from the Police Service, Met Office and Aberdeenshire staff and pass relevant information on to the appropriate operational staff.
• Prepare and transmit daily reports to Aberdeenshire staff summarising significant information relating to weather conditions, Winter Maintenance and other emergencies.
• Enter lighting fault information on to the lighting maintenance system
• Academic achievement to higher level in a relative discipline or equivalent transferable experience and skills
• Experience of winter maintenance operations
• An effective and confident written and verbal communicator
• ICT literate with knowledge of MS Office Suite
• Good geographical knowledge of Aberdeenshire
• Ability to work on own
• Supervisory experience particularly in relation to winter maintenance operations
• Experience of working in an out-of-hours roads related operations room
• SVQ level training in winter maintenance operations
• Awareness of weather forecast techniques used in relation to winter maintenance operations
Applying for a job with Aberdeenshire Council.pdf